Salted Caramel Date Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup cream, hot*
Pinch of salt
2 tsp of butter
1 3/4 cup cream, chilled
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups Cinderella Diced Dates
- To make the salted caramel: place sugar and water in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Heat on high, and bring to a soft boil. Using a basting brush, and to avoid burning, brush sides of the pan to avoid any sugar crystallisation on sides of the pot. Cook until the sugar becomes dark in colour and caramelised, then remove from the heat immediately and set aside.
- Being very careful, slowly pour the hot cream* into the caramel and whisk it in, in small increments. It will bubble rapidly, but keep stirring and it will calm down with whisking.
- Add a pinch of salt and butter to the caramel, and whisk again.
- Pour half of the caramel into an air tight container and leave aside. With the remaining caramel, mix together the chilled cream, milk, Cinderella Diced Dates and vanilla. Refrigerate until cold.
- Once cold, stir through the caramel sauce and freeze until set.
*To heat cream, pour into a pot and heat on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat just before cream comes to a boil.
A recipe by @clean_andmean