Lemon and Almond Drizzle Cake
Makes 20cm cake – 10-12 slices
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 40-45 minutes
¾ cup caster sugar
100g butter, melted
2 (no 7) eggs
½ cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
Zest from 1 lemon
½ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups Cinderella Almond Meal
¼ cup (extra) sugar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar
4-5 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (conventional bake). Grease and line the base of a 20cm springform or loose bottom cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat together sugar, butter and eggs until pale, thick and creamy. Stir in the yoghurt and lemon zest.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add Cinderella Almond Meal and fold into the creamed mixture until just combined.
- Spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake is cooked. A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Combine the extra sugar and lemon juice and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Prick the cooked cake with a skewer while still hot and pour the lemon syrup over the cake. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes, before removing it from the tin. Once cold pour over the lemon drizzle. Scatter over the toasted almonds.
- To make the Lemon Drizzle: sift the icing sugar into a small bowl. Mix in enough of the lemon juice to make a pourable consistency.