Date Caramel Slice
Prep Time 40 minutes (includes setting time)
Cooking Time 10 minutes
¾ cup rolled oats
¾ cup desiccated coconut
10 Cinderella Dates
½ cup roasted almonds
3 Tbsps coconut oil, melted
2 ¼ cups Cinderella Dates
2/3 cup boiling water
½ cup + 1 Tbsp natural nut butter (Almond or Cashew)
6 ½ Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp water
Pinch of salt
250g block dark chocolate
1 Tbsp coconut oil
Flaky sea salt (optional)
- Line a 20cm x 30cm baking tray/tin with baking paper.
- Place rolled oats, coconut, dates and roasted almonds in a food processor and combine until a fine, crumbly texture forms. Drizzle the melted coconut oil and blend until combined and the mixture holds together.
- Evenly press mixture into the prepared baking tin, pressing down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Set aside in the fridge while you make the caramel.
- To make the caramel, place dates and water in a medium-size pot and boil, until the dates are mushy, and the water has evaporated off.
- Place softened dates in the food processor along with the almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla, water and salt. Combine until smooth.
- Spread caramel evenly over the base in the baking tin.
- Return to the fridge to set until the filling is firm.
- Melt together chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave, in short increments to avoid burning.
- Once chocolate is melted and smooth pour evenly over the caramel.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt (optional)
- Pop the slice in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set.
- Once set, chop into small squares. (Using a hot knife will help to ensure a clean cut)
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week, also freezes well.
A recipe by Liv Glazebrooke